Reserve Volunteer at Trimley Marshes - weekends
Andrew Excell, South East Suffolk Sites Manager
What you’ll be doing:
• Unlocking the visitor centre and reservoir hide in the morning and locking again at the end of your shift in the afternoon.
• Topping up any leaflets in the visitor centre leaflet dispensers.
• Updating the bird and species sightings boards, and getting some of the best bird sightings in the county!
• Engaging with the public visiting the reserve – helping them to enjoy their visitor experience and see wildlife.
• Doing a quick 10-15 minute general housekeeping as part of an easy rota of care and tlc for the buildings.
• (optional) upkeep of the visitor centre grounds – mowing grass and weeding the walkway, cutting back vegetation from the paths etc.
The skills you need:
No experience necessary but an interest in the Trust's work would be useful.
What you’ll get out of it:
You will learn more about the management of a fantastic wetland bird reserve, and get opportunities to see the birds on site. You will also gain valuable experience volunteering with a conservation organisation, and meet Trust staff and other volunteers. Free tea, coffee and the all-important biscuits will be available to reward you for your hard work.
The time you need to give:
A minimum of one day per month, on weekends.
Full training, tools and protective clothing are provided as required, but please wear appropriate footwear and bring waterproofs and a good sized packed lunch.