Suffolk Wildlife Trust are running courses delivered by experienced environmental educators. The days will be packed full of practical ideas to deliver cross curricular activities in an outdoor environment.
Wild Beach Leader Training - Level 3
Felixstowe 01/05/2019 - 03/05/2019
Three days of experiential learning on the beach.
Course consists of 3 units:
- Keeping safe on the beach
- Practical skills on the beach
- Understanding the beach environment
Areas of learning include:
- Risk benefit analysis
- Understanding tides
- Shelter, games and activities
- Marine wildlife identification
- Cooking outdoors
- Sustainability and marine conservation zones
Level 1 Award in Forest School Ethos and Principles
Bradfield Woods 03/09/2018 - 04/09/2018
This course is aimed at those who are interested in learning more about the Forest School approach to learning and who would like to help out at an existing Forest School.
It can also be used as a first step for those considering taking Forest School Leader training at a later date
Participants need to be over 16 years of age and have an interest in working with children and young people outdoors.
Two days of training covering
- Understanding the Forest School Approach to Learning
- Practical Forest School skills
A short level 1 workbook which should be completed within 6 months of the start of the course
As part of the coursework you will need to attend at least 1 Forest School session run by a Level 3 Qualified Forest School Leader and complete your observations of this session. We will faciliate this for you.
The Level 1 course will provide you with the skills necessary to become an effective member of a Forest Schools delivery team. We will discuss the Forest school approach to learning, risk management and the impacts of Forest school on a woodland environment. Practical skills covered will include safe lighting, management and use of a campfire in a Forest School setting, safe use of a range of hand tools and a variety of games and activities. The course will be run on Forest School principles, so you will see the Forest School ethos in action.
Forest School Leadership - Level 3
27 - 30/09/18, 12 -14/10/18
23 & 24/03/19 +first aid dates tbc
The course is appropriate for anyone 21 or over with at least Level 2 in youth work, childcare or teaching or at least 2 years’ experience working with children. You will need to hold a current DBS certificate and to hold or acquire a16 hour outdoor paediatric first aid certificate.
The training runs over 9 days and includes and at least 110 hours of self-study over approximately 9 months. In this time you will
- Plan and deliver a six week Forest School programme with a group of children that includes practical activities based on reflective assessment
- Complete a practical workbook supporting the delivery and development of Forest School
- Create other materials demonstrating your understanding of both learning theory and woodland environments
Cost: £1050 (including paediatric first aid)