Basic Hedgehog Care
, Woodbridge, Suffolk, IP12 1NA
About the event
To be taken as a follow-on course from the Introduction to Hedgehog Course, this course will introduce you to the needs of the hedgehog including preferred habitats, behaviour, feeding and some basic first aid that you can offer if you discover a sick or injured hedgehog or one that is out in daylight.
The work of the ‘hogspital’ and charity
The importance of a hedgehog in the ecosystem
Revision from Introductory: Hedgehog menu; habitat; year; things you can do to help
Parasites and wider issues
How to tell if a hedgehog is sick
When to intervene
Handling and sexing Hoglets
What more you could do to help
Hedgehog numbers have dropped alarmingly in the past ten years and we fear up to a third of the UK’s population has been lost.
Handouts will be available, but you may wish to bring a notebook and pen.
In order to run activity sessions safely while the COVID-19 pandemic is still in effect, we have put a number of restrictions in place, which are in the best interest of our participants, staff and volunteers. Although we hope that these restrictions will be lifted by the date of the course, we appreciate you being aware of the guidelines we have set out and being ready to follow them should Government guidance make them necessary.
We will keep you up-to-date once you have booked, but it is important that you read and agree to the following information before you book should Government restrictions prevail in September.
- During the session you will be required to socially distance at the Government recommended 2m.
- All participants will be required to use sanitising hand gel on arrival. This will be provided and will be available for you to use at any additional points during the day, should you wish to.
- If you are showing ANY signs or symptoms of COVID-19, or you have been told by NHS Track and Trace to isolate, you must not attend this event.
- We ask that you wear a face covering in the centre at all times.
- All equipment used on the day will be cleaned before and after use and where possible everyone will have their own set of tools for the duration.
We hope to be able to offer teas & coffees throughout the day, however, this will depend on the Government guidelines in place at the time.
For those interested in furthering their knowledge and skills in caring for hedgehogs and putting them in to practice, we run an Intermediate Hedgehog Care course as the third in the Trust's Hedgehog learning curriculum. To register your interest in the next course, please contact us via the details below.
If the course you wish to attend is full or you cannot make the date, please let us know so that we can register your interest and let you know of opportunities planned for the future.
You can contact us on: email@example.com or Tel: 01473 890 089.
Additional booking informationPlease note this is a course for 18+ adults only. Thank you
Know before you go
People with limited mobility please contact organiser in advance