SWT Trading Ltd Ecological Consultants provides a professional ecological service that specialises in ecology, conservation and biodiversity.
All of our work is carried out to a high professional standard in accordance with the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM) code of practice and BS42020. All profits are passed to Suffolk Wildlife Trust.
Our work is fully supported by in-house GIS, including Phase 1 mapping using BosqMap
- Preliminary Ecological Appraisal (PEA)
- Ecological Impact Assessment (Ec1A)
- Habitats Regulations Assessment (HRA)
- National Vegetation Survey (NVC)
- Habitat creation
- Habitat management
In conjunction with ecological surveys, we can prepare a management plan which will prescribe how to manage a site for the long-term benefit of wildlife and at the same time integrating recreational activities, industry and farming where appropriate.
Protected Species Surveys
Many species are protected by law at national and European level. SWT Ecological Consultants undertake surveys, supported by the relevant licences, for the following:
- Great crested newt
- Water vole
- Birds (Schedule 1 and nesting birds)
When protected species are recorded we:
- Interpret species protection legislation and advise clients on legal compliance
- Recommend a suitable form of mitigation to ensure the ecological aspects of a development are fully addressed
- Make licence applications
- Undertake species and site monitoring post works
Suffolk Priority Species and Habitats
During all protected species surveys, we will also record priority species and habitats and make recommendations for best practice to safeguard or manage them.
Other types of species survey include:
- Breeding and wintering bird surveys
- Invertebrate surveys – aquatic and terrestrial
- Surveys of specialist groups including bryophytes, lichens, molluscs
- Non-native species surveys
We lead training courses on planning and development and protected species surveys and mitigation.
Dr Simone Bullion MCIEEM is Consultancy Manager and has over 20 years’ experience of ecological consultancy. She has a specialist interest in mammals and is the author of several publications.
Alison Looser (Ecologist) is an experienced field surveyor with over 10 years’ experience.
Jill Crighton (Ecologist) has 3 years’ experience and has a particular interest in protected species surveys and mitigation.
Tel: 01473 890089