Level 3 – Forest School Leader (September 2020)
, Woodbridge, Suffolk, IP12 1NA
About the event
Tuesday 29- Wed 30 September; Monday 5-Wednesday 7 October 2020 9.30am-4.30pm and Friday 13, Saturday 14 and Sunday 15 November 2020 (with optional overnight stay in the woods on Saturday 14) and optional mentoring days 26th October, 21st December 2020, 15th February 2021.
- Participants should be over 21 and hold a qualification at Level 2 or above in teaching or youth work OR have significant experience of working with young people.
- All participants must demonstrate that they are in a position to deliver a six session Forest School pilot programme during their training.
- All participants must hold a First Aid certificate by the end of the course. This can be the 16-hour outdoor First Aid or the 3-day First Aid at Work certificate.
- Please note that you do not require Level 1 Forest School Ethos and principles, or Level 2 Forest school Assistant before undertaking this Level 3 Forest School Leader training course
Option to pay in instalments available
If you have undertaken OCN accredited Forest School training with Suffolk Wildlife Trust within 18 months of the start of the level 3 course you can top up at a reduced price (where applicable). Please see details below.
Eight days of training to cover Forest School programme delivery, learning and development, planning and preparation, practical skills and the woodland environment. This is an outdoor course. A coursework portfolio should be completed within 12 months of the start of the course. As part of the course you will be required to plan and deliver an assessed six week Forest School programme.
The Level 3 course is designed to develop leadership, facilitation, practical and teaching skills to enable participants to understand the principles and ethos of Forest School and to plan and deliver Forest School programmes. It is designed to meet the needs of early years practioners, teachers and teaching assistants, youth workers, adults and professionals in training to become a Forest School Leader. The course will cover the Forest School approach to learning and holistic development and positive attitudes to risk taking. Practical skills will include safe lighting, management and use of a camp fire in a Forest School setting, outdoor cooking, safe use of a range of hand tools and a variety of games and activities. The course will also cover the identification of woodland flora and fauna and the sustainable use of woodland in a Forest School context. The course will be run on Forest School principles to provide participants with the opportunity to see the Forest School ethos in practice.
What will I need for the course?
Please make sure you bring the following with you each day:
- Packed lunch, cup and snacks
- Suitable outdoor clothing for the weather conditions (trousers, not shorts)
- Stout shoes or boots. Please do not wear sandals.
- A camera can be useful for recording some of the activities.
We will provide:
- Tea coffee and biscuits
- All required paperwork
- All tools and equipment for the outdoor tasks
(N.B. For a variety of reasons we would ask you not to bring your own tools)
Topping up from Level 1 or 2 to Level 3
There is the option to top up to a Level 3 Forest School Leader for participants who have done a level 1 or 2 with us within 18 months of the start of this course. Please contact us if you wish to discuss or book this option.
Top up from Level 1 to Level 3
Dates: Tuesday 29- Wed 30 September; Monday 5-Wednesday 7 October 2020 9.30am-4.30pm and Friday 13, Saturday 14 and Sunday 15 November 2020 (with optional overnight stay in the woods on Saturday 14) and optional mentoring days 26th October, 21st December 2020, 15th February 2021.
Location: Foxburrow Farm
Cost: £900 (price reduced by £50)
Top up from Level 2 to Level 3
Dates: Monday 5-Wednesday 7 October 2020 9.30am-4.30pm and Friday 13, Saturday 14 and Sunday 15 November 2020 (with optional overnight stay in the woods on Saturday 14) and optional mentoring days 26th October, 21st December 2020, 15th February 2021.
Location: Foxburrow Farm
Cost: £800 (price reduced by £150)
Know before you go
People with limited mobility please contact organiser in advance